Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Mold

Sometimes when you step out of the mold you end up doing a lot of explaining. Lately, I have found that my sailing plans dominate almost every conversation I have; with coworkers, with teachers and, in preparation for my big leap across the country, even with Adam. Don't get me wrong I am happy to talk about sailing, share our plans, and explain our desire to adventure.  However, for this post I thought I would share with you all some of the best reactions and comments I have received over the last few months.

"What?!  You are doing what?"

"For a year!  What about scurvy?!"

"But even famous sailors have died crossing oceans, like Magellan!"

"What about pirates?"

"But, how do you eat? What do people eat on boats?"

"You do know how to swim, right?"

"...and you're not married?"

"Well I guess you will really know [about each other] after this one."

"I don't think there is anyone I would want to spend that much time with."

"Make sure to bring lots of sunscreen.  Sunscreen is key."

I am in no way trying to poke fun at these people.  Honestly, I have been touched by the outpouring of concern, interest and love as my plans have evolved.  Hopefully I can answer these and many more questions throughout the year!

This is my last post from NC.  By this time next week I will be moved into the boat and making plans for our long trip south.  I can't wait!






No comments:

Post a Comment